Friday, December 23, 2011

Circular Logic


One of the "contraptions" (I'm still trying to decide what to call these structures) that will appear in my MFA thesis exhibition in January requires a hula hoop.  Like the other contraptions, this one will help generate a cinematic image on a nearby television monitor.  Each contraption presents me with a set of problems that I tackle as though I were solving a puzzle or a math problem.


I begin with image that I want to generate on a television screen and then work backwards to create a structure that will produce the image.  This reverse-engineering approach always forces me to learn how to use new materials, tools, and methods.  Often I also have to crack open my old college physics textbooks and ask,  "It's V = IR, right?"    



Making things, whether the things are drawings or motorized structures, is my way of understanding the world.  This approach of stumbling along and learning things as I go ultimately makes me happy even when the process is exasperating!




Of course, it also makes me happy when these goofy contraptions work as I intend.

No comments:

Post a Comment