Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Step by Step





View from GMU Art & Design Building, looking west.

I have nineteen working days left before my MFA thesis show opens on Monday, January 16th.  Today I felt much less anxious than I did a week ago--time spent catching up with family and friends has done me good.  Having made satisfactory headway with the one of the motorized pieces that was really giving me a headache, I spent the day painting.


I really enjoy being in the middle of a painting.  Starting a painting always seems daunting and finishing can be frustrating because there's always "one more thing" to add.  The beginning and ending of a painting are often stressful, but the middle is fun.  When I'm in the middle of a painting, I feel a sense of exploration and I loose track of time because I have enough structure that I'm not lost but not so much that there are no surprises.  



I took a break from painting this afternoon to move some of the television monitors out of my studio and into the main gallery downstairs.  I'm enjoying having a bit more room to move around.  Also, it's not so difficult to get to my coffee maker now--that's going to be increasingly important in the days ahead, I predict!

No comments:

Post a Comment