Thursday, December 15, 2011

Git Yer Motor Runnin'


My thesis show is now only a month away.  There are still several issues I am working to resolve, particularly related to the pieces that involve motors.  I needed to take a couple of days to learn about and play with electric motors and gears to understand how to get the rotation speed I'm after.  I purchased a small kit from a local hobby store that included a dc motor and a set of gears that reduced the speed to about 10 rpm.  It was a fun way to quickly see how a worm gear works.




Next I disassembled a motor that I had pulled out of a microwave oven.  As I removed the gears, I took photographs and video to help me remember how to put it back together.

Taking time to understand how things are put together seems frustrating sometimes, especially since my show is fast approaching, but it's an important part of how I make art and I can't skip it.


No comments:

Post a Comment